Code Enforcement

Airway Heights Code Enforcement’s goal is to prevent the physical and visual deterioration of our community. By enforcing the Airway Heights municipal codes, we can help you clean up your neighborhoods and maintain a healthy and safe environment.

To report code violations, please contact our Code Enforcement Complaint Line at (509) 244-3707

Common Code Enforcement Questions:

Under city code 10.12.020 no vehicle can park in the same location any more than 24 hours without moving. If you see cars, boats, travel trailers, or any other type of recreational vehicle that appears to be stored in the street and want to let Code Compliance know about it call us at 509-244-3707 or Crime Check 509-456-2233. Code Compliance will mark the vehicle and re-check it for movement in twenty-four hours or more. If it hasn’t moved,  one of two things can happen. Code compliance may contact the owner or leave a courtesy flyer on the vehicle letting the owner know to move it or it will be tagged for 24 hour tow.

Currently, there are no city statutes that require property owner’s to water their grass so Code Enforcement cannot force a property owner to keep it green. However, under Code 8.08.030 the city has a statute that prohibits the growth of weeds/ vegetation over eight inches in height and we can require the property owner to cut it down. For large areas such as vacant lots, the code requires the property owner to maintain a fire break even if they don’t cut it all down.

Yes, with limitations!  Chapter 6.05.030 gives more information but you are allowed up to four chickens under set circumstances.  However, no roosters are allowed in city limits.

Under City Code, the property owner is responsible for maintaining the right of way in front of their home, the sidewalk and the area behind their home (alley). This means the weeds must be cut down in all areas. For renters this means the property owner is still legally responsible and will likely contact you if we contact them.

No, the right of way must be kept clear and the intent is for vehicles to be able to park there.  Personal property left in the right of way can be disposed of by the city, the property owner can be cited and can be billed for the cost to clean up. The only thing allowed in the right of way are vehicles. Further you can be cited for illegal dumping for leaving anything in the right of way other than a vehicle.

Code Compliance appreciates you are trying to keep items out of the landfill however there are plenty of thrift store drop boxes set up in town and thrift stores in nearby Spokane that are happy to take your gently used items for resale.  There are several concerns with placing items in free piles:


1) Items get scattered by people or the windstorms and it looks trashy very quickly.


2) Not all items placed for pickup are gently used.  Many people use the curbside as a way to avoid dump fees and it creates blight which most neighbors don't appreciate.


3) The odds that the right person will happen along your street and want your item are not always great which means free piles can sit for a long time and truly become trash which keeps them from being re-used by anyone. 


If you have items for donation there are several non-profits that are happy to assist and you can probably find an organization that you support by a simple google search.  In the meantime curbed items are subject to a citation for either illegal dumping (on city property) or for not maintaining your property (city code) so please don't do it.


If it is after hours to reach Code Compliance (Monday-Thursday 8am-4pm) either call the Police, crime check 509-456-2233 or leave a message for Code Compliance to address the next working business day.