The City of Airway Heights Arts Commission was established in 2021 with the goal of promoting the growth and development of the arts within the City of Airway Heights and advising the City Council and Departments on matters pertaining to the arts.
Specific responsibilities of the Arts Commission include:
1. The Public Art Commission (herein referred to as the Commission) shall provide leadership to enhance the experience of public space, be an effective advisory body to recommend and implement approved Public Art policy and procedures, and maintain thoughtful public participation, outreach, and communications concerning public art.
2. The Commission recommends to the City Council all Public Art applications and City Council approval shall be necessary prior to the installation of public art in the City of Airway Heights unless exempted by the terms of this Ordinance.
3. The Commission shall initiate and develop proposals to receive recommendations and to solicit contributions for additions to the existing collection of Public Art.
4. The Commission shall be responsible for the development and oversight of a Public Art Plan including criteria and guidelines for the selection of new Public Art, either temporary or permanent. The criteria and guidelines shall relate but are not limited to economic feasibility, maintenance, security, and aesthetics. No Public Art shall be acquired, loaned, or installed, nor shall existing Public Art be deaccessioned or removed from public places without prior review by the Commission.
5. The Commission is authorized to establish a jury, advisory group, or consult with Public Artists when reviewing an application or acquiring a piece of Public Art.
6. The Commission shall submit an annual report to the City Manager on its activities.
Current Meeting Times and Information
Currently, the City of Airway Heights Arts Commission is meeting the second Monday of every month at 2:00 pm at the City of Airway Heights City Hall building located at 13120 W 13th Ave, Airway Heights, WA 99001.
These meetings are also available online, using the follow meeting information:
Join Zoom Meeting: Click here
Meeting ID: 841 9854 1251
One tap mobile:
+12532158782,,84198541251# US (Tacoma)
Dial by your location
Need help finding your local number? Click here
Current Art Commission Members
Position #1: Chris Bovey
Position #2: Matthew Stephens, Chair
Position #3: Lynne Schumal
Position #4: Tina M Nenema
Position #5: Cozette Phillips
Position #6: Lisa Specht, Vice Chair
Position #7: Mikayla Daniels
The arts commission utilizes public art grant funds received through grant awards by various entities and funds from City of Airway Heights capital projects. The commission are volunteers and are not compensated for their services.
Heather Trautman, Principal Planner
Zachary Becker, Associate Planner
Agendas, Minutes & Packets
The Airway Heights Arts Commission meets regularly, every second Monday of the month at 2:00 PM at City Hall and via Zoom.