Please follow the directions carefully as incomplete applications or failure to follow directions can be grounds for disqualification from the process.
Step 1: Application Process
Complete the Airway Heights Volunteer Firefighter Application and return it to Airway Heights Fire Department, 1208 S. Lundstrom Airway Heights, Wa 99001 between the hours of 8am and 5pm Monday thru Friday.
Incomplete or improperly finished applications will not be accepted.
Step 2: Written Test
All applicants that have completed the application will be invited to the written test that consists of general aptitude type questions.
Step 3: Physical Agility
All applicants that have met the 70% passing score will be required to take a standard physical agility test. The test consists of simple firefighter related tasks.
Step 4: Panel Interview
All applicants that have passed the physical agility will move on to the panel interview which consists of current members of the organization.
Step 5: Background Check
Once a candidate has passed the above steps , a background check is completed. A criminal history does not necessarily bar you from a position with the fire department. Once the application is reviewed and a decision is made, a letter is sent to the applicant to let them know if they have moved on. Those not offered membership will need to apply again to be considered in the future.
If at any time a candidate is removed from the process they will need to reapply to be considered in the future.
Required time Commitments
for Volunteer Firefighters
- New volunteers are required to attend a 15 week in house recruit academy. This will consist of two weeknights and Saturday training sessions.
- Volunteers are required to pull 1 twelve or 24 hour shift every 8 days. Most Shifts are 6pm-6am.
- Station duties are completed during all shifts.
- If a member is not an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) the class will be offered twice a year. The class usually consists of one weeknight and a Saturday class each week throughout the four months.
- Once a member has become a state certified EMT they are also required to attend ongoing medical training to keep up the certification. That is offered on the fourth Tuesday evening of every month.
If this sounds like something that you are interested in and you can fulfill the time requirements please feel free to get your application turned in ASAP to get the process started.