Building Department Information
Open For Business
Permit Services: will continue to operate within normal business hours via phone and email, but will be closed to the public for walk-in traffic until further notice. For your convenience, the following options are available:
- Pre-development Review: is required prior to the submission of Zoning/Land Use Applications and many types of Building Permits including commercial and industrial projects.
To schedule a pre-development review of a proposed project, please email completed pre-development form to firstname.lastname@example.org. Notes from each department will be prepared and sent to the applicant and staff will be available via email and phone to address follow up questions.
Applications for permits and other types of reviews through the City of Airway Heights are experiencing delays due to staff shortages. The City’s staff and consultants are processing applications and reviews as quickly and efficiently as possible, and will continue to be done in the order in which complete application materials are received. We appreciate your patience as we work toward filling key positions and reducing the delay in reviews caused by this shortage.
Business calls will be returned within two business days. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
NEW! Online Building Inspection Requests
The Building Department is responsible for building code enforcement and permit issuance within city limits. Different types of commercial, residential, fire safety, and public works projects require a permit to be obtained prior to beginning any type of work.
Before starting a project, check if a permit is required.
Why Are Permits Required
Permits and inspections are necessary, it’s a health and safety issue!
- Permitting allows code professionals to reduce potential hazards from unsafe construction.
- Mandatory inspections act as a system of checks and balances focused on code compliance.
It’s also a financial issue – at several levels.
- Proper permitting helps protect property values.
- Property insurers may not cover damages caused by work done without permits and inspections.
- Disclosure of any improvements or repairs is required as to whether permits and
inspections were obtained.
- Financial institutions may withhold funding without proof of a final inspection and a Certificate of Occupancy.
- Non-permitted work may be subject to removal at the owner’s expense as well as penalty fees assessed.
Please review the Geographical Design Criteria form If you are an architect, engineer, or design professional and need information concerning Geographical Design Criteria utilized within the City of Airway Heights.
Checklists are available for Commercial/Multifamily, Residential, Manufactured Home Placement, and Public Works as a guideline for permit submission requirements. These checklists were designed to assist as well as expedite the permitting process:
Business owners as well as contractors seeking to operate or perform work within city limits are required to obtain a business license from the City of Airway Heights. You may apply for a 48-hour, 30-day or annual license.
Annual licenses run January 1st to December 31st of the calendar year in which they are purchased.
For a list of local utilities providing service within the City of Airway Heights, please go to our Utilities page.
Call Before You Dig – one call utility locate service or dial 811 for locates in the State of Washington.
Please contact Building Staff for updated information concerning permit fees related to your proposed project.
Cindy Reddekopp, Building Official
Esmeralda Sanchez, Permit Facilitator
Physical Location: 13414 W Sunset Highway
Office Hours: Mon-Thurs 8am-4pm, Fri 8am-12pm
1208 S Lundstrom Street,
Airway Heights, WA 99001