Building FAQs

Can I start the project prior to permit issuance?

Per the International Building Code, as adopted by the State of Washington as well as the City of Airway Heights, it is unlawful to commence work without first obtaining a permit.

Section 105.1 of the IBC states “Any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by this code, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to the building official and obtain the required permit.

If an owner or authorized agent begins any of the above work prior to issuance of the appropriate permit by the Building Department, the building official or designee may place a stop work order on the site, issue a criminal citation under the Airway Heights Municipal Code, have the owner remove the illegal work at the owner’s expense, double the fees associated with the permit upon permit application submittal, or any combination of the above.

When Should I Call For Inspection?

Permit holders must call a minimum of 24 hours in advance to schedule inspections. Types of inspections are listed on the Progress Inspection Record that will be issued with the permit. If you have a question about whether a specific item or phase of a structure needs to be inspected, please contact the Building Department for clarification.

Related Resources